Choosing Real-world Solutions In
PETALING JAYA: The government has imposed an immediate ban on Malaysians travelling to North Korea. The foreign ministry released a statement this morning announcing the travel ban, adding that it was until further notice. “The decision to impose the travel ban on Malaysians to North Korea was taken in view of the escalation of tensions in the Korean peninsula and related developments arising from missile tests,” Wisma Putra said. The ministry added that the travel ban will be reviewed once the situation has returned to normal. There has been heightened tension after North Korea’s two missile tests over Japan earlier this month, with United States President Donald Trump saying he was ready to respond with military action, during his speech at the United Nations general assembly. Last week, North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho told reporters in New York that Pyongyang was ready to test a powerful nuclear weapon over the Pacific Ocean. Meanwhile, the travel ban is also likely to impact the upcoming AFC Asian Cup 2019 qualifying match between North Korea and Malaysia, scheduled for Oct 5 in Pyongyang. On Sept 20, FAM president Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim announced in a statement that he had been given special permission from North Korea to travel direct to Pyongyang prior to the match, instead of having to stop over in Beijing, China first. He said this following a meeting with North Korean envoy to Malaysia, Kim Yu Song. The match was originally scheduled for March 28, and then June 8. However, it was called off both times due to security concerns following the diplomatic fallout between Malaysia and North Korea earlier this year.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2017/09/28/wisma-putra-imposes-travel-ban-to-north-korea/
An Inside Examination Of Key Issues For
Jo says he was fired days after he went on to start a union in July that year. Samsung said his repeated violation of company rules was the reason for the layoff, according to court documents. But five years later, the Supreme Court ruled the sacking was retaliation against Jo's union activities and the company reinstated him. “The company has respected the Supreme Court’s ruling that the layoff was excessive although some grounds of its disciplinary action were accepted and the company has completed measures such as reinstatement,” Samsung C&T Corp, the unit that runs Everland, said in a statement to Reuters. It denied Jo’s claim that he was offered better pay or a promotion. A hundred pages of court documents from Jo's legal battle with Samsung reviewed by Reuters, and interviews with seven former and current employees, provide a glimpse into how South Korea's most powerful family-run conglomerate has for decades undermined workers' efforts to organise labour. Samsung's union tactics are now being investigated after prosecutors obtained company documents in April allegedly showing another Samsung Electronics unit discriminated against subcontracted workers for joining a union. Samsung Electronics, the flagship company of the sprawling group, said in a statement for Reuters its repair unit was fully cooperating with the investigation. The firm declined to comment further as the probe was still underway. The scrutiny is the latest setback for Samsung, long revered for helping catapult the country into Asia's fourth-largest economy, but which has also faced allegations of bribery and corruption in addition to its activities around unions. Amid criticisms about self-interest and sometimes militant tactics, union participation rates in South Korea have halved since the 1980s to around 10 per cent.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/643157/inside-fight-unions-samsung/